A woman who works with her hands is a LABORER; a woman who works with her hands and head, a CRAFTSMAN; but a woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an ARTIST. ~ St. Francis of Assisi




Wednesday, August 17, 2011

post card art



Made my first art post card today.
Here are the materials I used
2 post cards from magazines, the kind I usually toss away immediately
Crayola Markers and Colored pencils
Glue Stick
One copy of the Left over lady sign
Stapler
Ball point Ink Pen
Yellow Hi-liter
Two stamps from work Checked and For Training Purposes (I masked the word only)
Red ink pad
First I covertly made a copy of the Left over lady. I later found out who was responsible for the Left Over Lady. I won’t say because it isn’t my place too.

any whoo here is what the sign looks like

I took my colored pencils, primarily I used green, red orange, blue and itty bitty of yellow and colored over the post card. I colored over the side that did not have the postage on it. I went over all the text and everything.
I cut out my pieces I wanted to use. I cut out several different key phrases of the text.
I played around with the lay out till I found the exact position I wanted. Some of the pieces I had cut out were then discarded.
I glued down the Text about clear flush first. Then I glued down the ladies picture.
I took out my Crayola markers and jazzed up the lady. I accentuated her glasses and facial features. I gave her old lady blue hair and a yellow shirt. I used orange to make a patterned wall paper.
I then glued down the tittle Lady, Leftover in that order so it would be layered just the way I wanted it.
I then glued the rest of the words I chose to use.
The words needed something else so I hi-lited a few key words. I underlined a word and added an ! after a phrase.
I took out the stamps and the red ink pad and stamped the two phrases one on each side of the lady.
I saw that the card was curling so I glued a second card to the back to make it sturdier. To help keep it fastened I gave it a staple. I liked the staple look so I continued to staple all the word blocks.
I thought I would be able to call it done but It needed something else. The white was to bright. So I took a tissue and rubbed it across the red stamp pad. I tested the amount of ink that would be transferred on a scrap piece of paper. When I got the perfect amount I rubbed it over the words.
I really really like it. It sits behind me on my bulletin board at work. I keep turning around and admiring my handy work. I really enjoyed making this art card. 

Here is my finished art post card


1 comment:

  1. LOL... middle named Karen, I like your sense of humour!...Love what you did to this postcard!....and also loved the story about the moon....very clever girl!

    I am also a member of sumofallatcs.

    http://somethingztocrowabout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete