A woman who works with her hands is a LABORER; a woman who works with her hands and head, a CRAFTSMAN; but a woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an ARTIST. ~ St. Francis of Assisi




Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day 18 of 30 days of art

At first I couldnt decide what to do then I remembered there was this wreath I needed to start working on. I had the pieces cut out.  It was a matter of putting it together.  Today I finished about half of it.  I will give a quick tutorial on how to make it.  It is really simple.  Tomorrow I should have it finished for you to see.

First you will need a straw wreath.  I used a 14 inch here.  You will need fabric.  Its hard to tell you how much because fabric is different sizes on the bolts.  Generally I use about 2 yard for the 14 inch wreath.  Then you will need some pinking shears, craft glue, something to poke like a knitting screw driver.  I used a beat up old knitting needle that lost its pair.  Its a perfect tool for this project and lastly you will need some decorative item to sit on the wreath.

The story behind my version of this wreath. Once mom bought a wreath from this boy who was selling them.  I gave it a good look and realized I could do this.
I cut the squares and was stupid enough to use scissors to poke the fabric in.
I learned several things that I did wrong, from this wreath and the original.
First the fabric unraveled.  The original was pinky sheared.  Ok.  I can do that (kills my hands though, I think I need knew scissors)
On both wreaths the squares fell out.
Ok Craft glue.
No problem.
That is how I came up with my own version.  
I have no set size to cut the squares.  I cut the strips of fabric with my scissors (wish I could afford that machine at walmart that is 50 bucks that will cut it for me!)
Then I cut them into squares (probably more like rectangles)
It is good for using up scraps because you really cannot not see the patterns only the colors.  Just use similar colors or go bold and use wild colors but space them out with some sense.
Lets begin
I squirt a little tacky glue (elmers glue will probably work too)  onto the wreath.  I take the fabric and place it on the glue.  I take the knitting needle and push it into the straw wreath.  That is all there is to it.
I dont fill in the back because who sees the back anyway.
After I am done I will pick some type of decoration to sit at the bottom of the wreath.

Here are some pictures to show the wreath and steps I took

fabric pieces I used.  As you will see you will not be able to determine the pattern


squirt a little glue


push the fabric into the wreath



another view.  lets pretend this wreath is only half way done.  I took this picture the day after I worked on half of it LOL


Half the wreath done.


close up of the fabric

30 Days of Get Your Art On

No comments:

Post a Comment