A woman who works with her hands is a LABORER; a woman who works with her hands and head, a CRAFTSMAN; but a woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an ARTIST. ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

4x4 steampunk swap

Here is a swap I made and mailed out today.

I started out with the background.  Black card board and then black card stock.  I made the gears out of the cuttle bug folder and aluminum foil which can be seen on this tutorial from stamp tv.

I had some metallic paste bought because of this tutorial.  Gina K site was out when I purchased it so i got it from the ritz camera sight.. yeah they have a scrap book section.  Problem is none of them carry it any more.

I was told its now called gilded paste.  I have not done any research on it.

I stumbled upon this etsy store while I was surfing and I was inspired.

I did not have 6.00 bucks nor the patients to wait for the file.  I decided to make my own.  first I wanted the dress.

I found this paper doll page at

Next I wanted the skeleton and I found this on the net

I of course got rid of the right stuff.

Next comes the digital magic.  I opened the skeleton in paint shop pro and pasted the dress on top of it and lowered the opacity of the layer so I could see the skeleton.  It was obvious the arms were not going to fit in the sleeves so I erased the arms and part of the shoulder blade
I went back to the original file and cut out the right arm.
I pasted it on to my skeleton and used the pick tool to manipulate it so its in the right spot.
Since we usually come with a pair of arms.  I copied the arm and pasted it as another layer but this time  behind the skeleton layer.
I realized that the skeleton will have to have a transparent back ground so I used the select tool and selected the white portion and deleted.
This allowed the arm to show up.
I once again used the pick took and adjusted to where I would like it.
I went back to the paper doll and cut out the hat, bow and the umbrella and pasted them as layers onto my working file.  I lowered the opacity of these layers to match the dress layer.
I adjusted both with the pick tool.
I merged all the layers together and resized so it will fit the 4x4 card.
I am uploading the original size in case you want it :-)
I printed it on photo paper and fussy cut it out.  I used buttons for the "wheels"  and poked holes in the bottom and inserted the shanks.  This gave the dress some dimension from the background.  I used large glue dots.
I printed out a gold key.  I resized it in paint shop so it will be small enough to fit her back. 

Here is the original key
Here is the resized key to fit the lady and I mirrored it too

I used some wire.. not sure of the gauge and wrapped around a pen to make it coil.  I had 4 foam bat stickers.  I sandwiched the end of the wire between two of the stickers.  I tucked the other end of the wire into the glue dot.    

And that is how she came together. 


  1. Great job Karen. Photoshop is amazing, I need to clone myself so I have enough time for everthing.