A woman who works with her hands is a LABORER; a woman who works with her hands and head, a CRAFTSMAN; but a woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an ARTIST. ~ St. Francis of Assisi




Monday, May 20, 2013

Coptic Stitch Sketch book practice

This is by no means a tutorial.  At the end I will embed the video in which I learned this into the post.

I made these books this week.





The left one was the first one.  I used waxed linen I found in the jewelry section at Hobby Lobby.  The second one  (right) is the one I have loads of pictures of.  I will share with you my adventure in making the book.

This is a practice session so I can get comfortable and make a nice one for somebody else.

So lets begin....


The cover came from a book cover I cut in half.  You may have noticed I used eyelets on this one and not on the first one.  I followed the directions and used an awl on both of those as the video that I will be embedding suggest.

I came up with a problem when you use an awl it pushes the board up so it looks like a little mountain.  

I wanted to use eyelets on this version so I pulled them out and the holes were not big enough.  So I got my crop a dile out and it punched such pretty holes and the mountains when away.  I may use the crop a dile in the future to prevent those mountains.  Though the holes are larger then with the awl. 

Since some sides were cut and had raw edges I used a black sharpie marker and colored those sections. 



The next step is to prep your signatures.  Follow the video tutorial and you wont go wrong.


I bought some thread at hobby lobby but left it in my trunk. I was to lazy to get  I found this thread I bought at Goodwill and decided to use that.  The 4 strand on the label should have been a clue its going to be a pain to use cause I had to separate and remove 3 strands. 


The first one I used wax linen.  I thought it was to bulky.  This one had no wax so I used a chunk
of bees wax and waxed myself.   

On retrospect maybe it wasnt too bulky LOL


Begin to sew... follow the tutorial :-)


Sewing is fun (cough cough, something I would never say)


He wasnt much help... he kept getting tangled (this photo is a dramatization)
though he did get tangled several times


BTW the dummy eats the wax too



Time for dinner and to take some pictures in the neighbors garden


Back to work


759th knot (so much for waxing)

\

He wasnt much help either and this photo is not a dramatization


finally the finished book




Here is the true tutorial on how to make your very own



or if your just interested in the coptic stitching

No comments:

Post a Comment