A woman who works with her hands is a LABORER; a woman who works with her hands and head, a CRAFTSMAN; but a woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an ARTIST. ~ St. Francis of Assisi




Sunday, June 23, 2013

Lino cutting, Japan girl and an lesson in attitude

I have been working on this lino cut for a while.  Not because it was difficult, you can tell its not.  Just finding the time and the go get them danny boy attitude was difficult.



I finally finished it.  I inked it up and started making some test prints.  They were a disaster.

Oh my second attempt is MIA... I folded the paper over and the ink smudged so there was no reason to show it.  It looked like the others 2-  especially.

Print 1
 
 
Yeah not a very successful print, right?  I noticed the ink did not go onto the brayer smoothly, it was a cheaper ink so I decided to try the smaller tube and put more pressure on it. 
 
Print 2 photo not available...
 
Still keeping with the more expensive ink I decided it needed more pressure.
 
Print 3
 
 
 
 
its getting closer but not quite there
Print 4
 
 
 
 
A little better but nooo
 
Ok here is where the attitude lesson comes in.  I am going to pause from the regularly scheduled program and tell about the workshop at work.  If I dont fall asleep that is ha ha
 
 
Dawndy Mercer Plank was the guest speaker.  I can feel safe posting this on the internet because it was posted on her facebook account and shown on TV.  I took the picture how awesome is that?  My picture on TV.  I didnt get to see it cause Duncan was feeling really bad and I took him to the vet.  His back is finally beginning to bother him.  Not unusual for a doxie but he is 15+ years old so I think he did good so far.
 
 
 
 
The gentlemen in red is Cory Jenkins, Pro baseball and Pro football player, USC (South Carolina) Graduate Dawndy Mercer Plank is the lady wearing the Black and orange dress.  The other folks work where I work. 
 
 
Dawndy Mercer Plank was speaking about attitude and how it can change the outcome of things ... and how bad things can turn into good things if you have the right attitude.
 
 
Her example is, she ran out of gas which led her to a gas station, she accidently bumped into a car backing up and the person she bumped into was able to assist her to her destination (it was across the street while her GPS told her she had 3 miles to get off the exit)
 
Ok... here is my bad thing, I rolled some fresh ink back onto my stamp and went to pick it up.  Boom it fell onto the carpet.. which btw is not the smartest thing to have in an artsy fartsy room.
 
It was the dinning room and once again I will say its not the smartest thing to have in the dining room.
 
I went to get a towel and put some water on it.  As I started to clean it I noticed it made a better imprint on the carpet then on my paper (wouldn't that just be the case LOL... I can laugh now cause the ink came up!)
 
So I remember back in my internet research that some times people put cushion under their paper to help the imprint.
 
I grabbed my mouse pad and stuck it under the paper and this is what I got.
Print 5
 
 
 
Not perfect but much much improved.  So I learned to turn a bad episode into an opportunity to learn what was going wrong with my stamping.
 
I grabbed a second stamp bad UGH its 1:23 AM and I should be in bed... Im going to leave that mistake in there so you can see how goofy I am,  I meant to say I grabbed a second MOUSE PAD and placed it under the paper with the first one and made another print and this is what I got...
 
Print 6
 

 
 
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment