A woman who works with her hands is a LABORER; a woman who works with her hands and head, a CRAFTSMAN; but a woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an ARTIST. ~ St. Francis of Assisi




Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mothers day Art

Greetings,

Its Mothers day, So I make some things and buy a thing for Moms day.  Its my way of not looking cheap (though I was flat out broke this year)  and to let them I know I care enough to take my time to make something for them.

Just so you know DIY is not cheap.   LOL  

Lets start with video I made... Stayed up till 3 am to finish it.

There was a running theme going on with the black and white photos I used.  I will get further into that later. 

Here is the video...


 
 
 


Here is the card I made to go the video (I burnt it on a dvd) 




Here is the envelope for the DVD




 
 
I have a home made template for it.  I cannot post it because its to large for a printer.  I could make it on two pages and you can piece it together. 
 
 
Here is the vase I made..
 




 
 
Here is how I made everything...
 
I searched Pinterest for mothers ideas...  I found several on decoupage planters and that was where I was heading towards.
 
I went to Michaels to get a terra cotta pot but ended up at Hobby Lobby.  I am glad I did but am not.  LOL. 
 
Oh btw I don't have step by step pictures of the process but it isn't necessary to follow along.  It is pretty easy to follow.
 
 
 
This was the original vase that got cracked.  How did it get cracked?   An ambulance was driving in the opposite direction and did a U Turn right in front of me and I slammed the brakes.   The package went flying.  Then the he was swerving all over the road.  He would drive in the middle turn lane and there is nobody in the lanes. 
 
So I got behind one day. 
 
I went back the next day and purchased it again.  I got it home, cleaned it up and spray painted black.  I gave it a couple of coats.
 
Then I printed the pictures. 
 
I selected pictures of Me, Robin, Kathryn, Lucas, Conner and then group.
 
I started resizing them but stopped cause I didn't need to. 
 
I did change the color to black and white.  I probably didn't need to that either because I was printing on an HP laser jet printer.
 
I did use that for the video so I got use out of.  
 
I printed them using a Windows 7 machine, from Windows explorer.  I do have a windows 8 machine but I don't have the printer set up on it.
 
I saved them all in one folder.  I opened up explorer and hi-lighted all the photos.    For some reason the print button does not work up top.  You have to right click and hit print. 
 
 
I printed two sizes.  One was wallet size. I deselected fit to frame because it cuts their heads off.  I used the wallet size for the vase and the DVD envelope.
 


 
 
I then printed contact sheets with fit to frame turned off too.  I used that for the Mothers day card.
 

 
 
 I cut the pictures out and put them in piles of Me Robin Kathryn Conner/Lucas and Us. 
 

I used out door mod podge to glue the pictures down, I did one row at a time...

 
 
 
It was thicker then the regular mod podge so it takes longer to dry.  

Its still sticky 24 hours later, will the sticky go away? 

I had bought some ribbon and it didnt go well so I used what I had. 

For the card and envelope I used home made mod podge and I glued the wallet size photos on a large piece of sketch paper I got from walmart.  I used my home made mod podge  and glued the contact sheet pictures on black card stock.

The card base is 10x7 when it is folded it is 5x7.  I made a blue matt of 4.75x6.75 and cute the contact black card stock to 4.5x6.5

I assembled the whole card together. 




1 comment:

  1. Karen- You made me laugh and cry at your video. It's priceless!

    ReplyDelete