A woman who works with her hands is a LABORER; a woman who works with her hands and head, a CRAFTSMAN; but a woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an ARTIST. ~ St. Francis of Assisi




Sunday, September 21, 2014

My Mad Hatter Journal Page

This page took two years to finish.... YES TWO YEARS LOL..




Ok, here is why it took two years.

I was watching the Strathmore free online classes and one of the instructors was Traci Bautista. 

She was in the process of promoting her new books doodles unleashed (one of my favorite things to do, doodle) besides instructing the class.  So the class was loosely based on the content of that book.

I started on the background.  I used the materials she suggested, fabric paint sprays.  I used found objects and stencils for stencils of course and mask.  I know I used rubber bands and clothes pins. 

Not sure if I used anything else besides the stencils.  Like I said it has been 2 years LOL

I had it taped to one side of the foam core board I use to water color paint on.  The other side I use for my water color paintings.  Many have come and gone while the back side still stayed taped on.

I bought some dip pens for a pen and ink + water color class and I was playing around with them and before I knew it I had a funky doodle tree on my page.

For some reason it just said mad hatter taking a nap under the tree.

I will let on to a little secret.  I like to find color pages and draw from them to begin my journal pages.

Well if your familiar with Alice in Wonderland ... the mad hatter does not sleep under the tree Alice does.  So I had to improvise.

So here are the images I used for reference in this piece ...

First I found a clip of a man taking a nap ... kid of cow boy looking fellow

  http://www.printactivities.com/ColoringPages/SummerFun/summer-nap.html

Here is what I started with...

at first I did draw the whole guy and then reminded myself MAD HATTER KAREN

So I searched some more ...

I searched for his hat and used the following images for reference

http://serafine-enifares.deviantart.com/art/Mad-Hatter-s-Hat-173363348

I cant find the exact link to the next one.  I only used it for the band and the peacock feather which I did not bother coloring in.  Here is the search window for it.  I hope it works...

another hat image

I used the next one as a reference for the shoes.... I do like his shoes LOL

disney mad hatter

I  changed his shirt to a jacket and made the shirt kind of ruffley.  I did not use a reference photo for that. 

The Cheshire cat link that I used is coming up with an error so I will direct you to the search window box on this image also

cheshire cat smile

Lastly is the toad stool

http://artycrafty.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/toadstoolspots.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment