A woman who works with her hands is a LABORER; a woman who works with her hands and head, a CRAFTSMAN; but a woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an ARTIST. ~ St. Francis of Assisi




Friday, October 2, 2015

WIP ... the jewelry box

Well folks the weekend is going to be SUPER Nasty.

They are calling from 8-18 inches of rain.  We are in a Flood watch so its a good idea to stay parked!

My Hyundai is on its sick bed so I been driving the mom mobile.  Its most likely the battery and with all that rain how am I ever going to get the car jump started and to auto zone to replace the battery?

Its finally beginning, the rain that is.  Been waiting for it all day.  Well it has been raining all day.  In fact its been raining since Thursday.  Not yesterday Thursday.  Last week Thursday.  I am rather tired of it.  My mom says I don't remember the last time it rained so much.  I said when we were in Seattle in 1992.

Well this weekend I am going to clean the house (snort)

Plus work on some projects.  I got three cooking right now.

The art journal page Desire.  Its almost done
A smashbook/mixed media journal book/autograph book of my trip to Disney world.  Date not to be disclosed ha ha
and the Disney jewelry box.

I posted these pictures a few days ago but why not again.  I am just wild and crazy like that.





Here is what I did to it so far.  I removed the innards and the hard ware
I attempted to remove the mirror with out breaking it.  FAIL.  I removed the broken mirror
The top drawer that slides out was not securely glued so one side easily came off.  This enabled me to remove the bottom.
I glued that shell of the drawer to the bottom drawer
I removed the tracking that the top drawer runs on so it will fit the one deep drawer
I used wood putty and filled in the holes
I painted it with several coats of black chalk paint
I picked out the red which will be painted over the black paint job (sneaky peak tip I will be distressing)
I picked out the papers I am going to glue on onto it
I decided to go with 6 knobs 2 white 2 black 2 red I was concerned that I would not be able to find the red ones.  Walmart happened to have wood ones so SCORE.  I bought 3 packages (2 in each package)  That's the only embellishment so to speak I have had to purchase so far.  Most items were on hand.  I did buy the wood putty but that will be used for loads of projects.
I painted the knobs the colors I mentioned earlier
It is now drying





Fun facts (don't you find it amusing when they say fun facts and its really not fun

I painted the box on my bed

I got red paint on the bed

My rag is a holey sock.  I wish I could say it is because nothing gets thrown away but that would be a fib.  I was to lazy to go look for a rag

The cat sat with me during most of the painting.

I started paining the box while watching the blacklist

The box is upside down in the photo

To do next
Paint the box red
Glue the papers on the box
Finish the inside drawers (see next section)
Add the knobs
Wax the box
Finish the top
Complete the mini book

Haven't decided on
If I will be using fabric, felt or paper for the inside drawers of the box
What to do on top of the box
what type of mini book will go inside the box (binding ... tutorial etc)

No comments:

Post a Comment